Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Friday 6 January 2012

Read Free; My Novel Here.


Prologue of Breaking Faith.

A little over 3 years ago, I published my first novel, Breaking Faith, as a paperback, through YouWriteOn, an Arts Council sponsored publisher. On 24 October 2010 I published it as an ebook through Smashwords.
Those who've read the book have enjoyed it: read some of their comments below. I'd like more people to read the book. That is, after all, why I write; to be read.
So, I'm offering the chance for everyone to read it free, here on the blog. I'll post a section of the book each Friday until the whole novel has appeared. Here's the first part, the Prologue. Read, enjoy, tell your friends. The more who read, the happier we'll be.

What others have said about

Breaking Faith

...I could not believe how determined this book was to make me read it...set in the summer of 1976, it details Faith’s journey from isolation, deprivation and abuse...to enlightenment...A shocking but captivating story...’ Shirley Mace

I read this book in one sitting, unwilling to put it down, immersed in Faith’s journey from darkness to self-knowledge. The characters drawn with a fine brush...The denouement is sudden, violent and completely satisfying. Mr P. F. Field

...a story of triumphant human spirit. The novel simmers with heat, lust, decadence and sexuality...Stuart Aken is indeed a writer to watch. Karen Wolfe, author.



Prologue

I had to wait when I went to collect bread and milk from our village store. The owner was serving the man that Father called ‘the Devil’s Henchman’. He said some really dreadful things to her but she laughed as I had never heard her laugh before. When he left the shop, she frowned at me.
‘What d’you want, girl?’
‘Father says Leighton Longshaw is evil, Mrs Greenhough. But he was making you laugh.’
She twisted her mouth into an ugly shape and sighed. ‘Your good-for-nothing father’s a hypocritical fool, girl. And you’re just a fool; plain and simple.’ She smiled as if she thought she had said something clever. ‘What do you want?’
‘Father says I’m to tell you I start work at the Dairy next week and can he have a bit of credit until I get my first wages, please? We’ve run out of sugar for his tea, you see.’
She almost threw a bag of sugar at me. ‘You’ll pay as soon as you’ve got your wages, girl. Though, God knows what sort of job an idiot like you’s going to get.’
I bowed my head, as Father had taught me, and took the bag back home. On the way, I passed a cottage with the door open. There was a thing I had never seen before in the far corner of the room. It had moving pictures on it and I was so surprised to see this that I actually stopped and watched to see if it was true. It was only a few seconds before the man who lived there saw me.
‘Bugger off, cretin.’ He started to shut the door.
His wife came and peered at me. She frowned. ‘Oh, it’s only that Heacham girl. She can’t help it, George; probably never seen a telly before, livin’ with that ne’er-do-well father of hers. Shouldn’t yell at her; she’s simple.’ She turned to me, her face firm but not unkind. ‘Off you go, Faith, there’s a good girl. It’s not nice to peer into people’s houses, you know.’
As I moved away, Leighton Longshaw walked past me in the street. He was a tall man with the happiest eyes I have ever seen, a mop of dark hair and a beard. And he smiled at me. Smiled. I remember because no one ever smiled at me; people generally scowled. Because I was schooled at home, by Father, and lived outside the village in an isolated cottage, I had no friends I could ask about why this bad man should smile at me so nicely. When I got home, I mentioned it to Father but he warned me to have nothing to do with him.
‘Keep well away from him, girl! Evil beyond your worst nightmares. That man’s trouble through and through. You better not have done owt to encourage him or I’ll have to scourge you, girl.’
‘I just passed him in the street, Father.’
‘Make sure that’s all you ever do with Leighton Longshaw, girl. Now get my tea.’
I never argued with Father, of course. But I did think the man’s smile had been kind and friendly. It was such an unusual event for me and it left me feeling the sort of joy I only knew when I was up at the tarn; swimming or watching the birds flying. I very much wanted to experience it again.

Now, of course, whilst I want people to read the book, it would be even better if they were to buy it. So, if you can't wait until next week's instalment, check the links below, which will take you to a place you can make your purchase, either as a paperback or an ebook, depending on your preference.

            Sample or buy as Ebook: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/stuartaken
            Barnes & Noble - Nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Breaking-Faith/Stuart-Aken/e/2940011126079
            Amazon paperback or Kindle To buy from USA Amazon
            Amazon paperback or Kindle To buy from UK Amazon
Apple idevice:

Web site: http://stuartaken.co.uk
Tweet with me: http://twitter.com/@stuartaken
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/StuartAken

No comments: