Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Monday 6 October 2014

#BookADayUK; A Reader Event For October. Day 6

Today's theme for the Books Are My Bag bookshop promotion, is the 'first book I bought in a bookshop'. Two things strike me about this one. The first is that bookshops were the ONLY place you could buy a book when I started out on my long career as a reader. It's only relatively recently that other options arrived. The second is that I can't possibly remember the first one: it was centuries ago! However, (for those of you of the grammar police that object to this sentence's opening, click on this link), I can recall the first purchase I can remember. It was Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. I bought the Penguin Classics edition when I was about 18. Very formative to a teenager, I can tell you! I no longer have the book: when I divorced from my first wife, she insisted on taking half our books, though almost all of them were, in fact, mine. For practical reasons, I couldn't take them all anyway. That first book was lost in the process of separation and moving out.

No comments: